1) Work with an 8(a) Consultant that not only understands the requirements of the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) 8(a) Business Development Program, but wants you to understand the requirements, as well. We’re here to help, not hide the ball. Click here for a thorough explanation of the Certification Requirements for SBA 8(a) applications.
2) Having the know-how is important, but it’s also important that the 8(a) Consultant you select can provide comprehensive service, from social and economic narratives to net worth and financial aspects all the way to appeals of previously denied applications. At Watson & Associates, our attorneys and 8(a) Consultants offer Comprehensive Consultation Service for 8(a) Applications.
3) Look for an 8(a) Consultant that does NOT offer a “guarantee.” At Watson & Associates, we stand by our work, but we also know that guaranteeing a successful application is nothing more than a false promise. Any consultant that suggests anyone can be approved for an 8(a) application or that every company is guaranteed to get the desired result is a statement that the SBA itself warns against:
“Please be advised that no one can guarantee that an application for 8(a) program participation will be approved. The application process is intended to assure that each applicant receives a fair review. Any irregularities in the application review process should be immediately referred to the SBA Office of Inspector General.”
4) 8(a) Consultants should also have a proven track record of experience and success. Check out our Representative Cases.
5) Finally, recognize that an 8(a) application involves extensive detail into your personal information (e.g. background, ethnicity, social security number) and that of your company (e.g. financial history, ownership/control). Working with a consultant that is an attorney helps ensure accountability as attorneys are heavily regulated in the protection and confidentiality of client information, whose primary role is to advocate on behalf of their clients. See our list of 8(a) Certification Qualified Attorney Consultants.
If you need help with your 8(a) business development program application, call us at 1-800-601-5518 for a FREE initial consultation.